The purpose of the Shepparton Mooroopna Flood Mapping and Flood Intelligence Project Report March 2019 (Report) is to update the flood intelligence and mapping tools contained within the existing Shepparton Mooroopna Floodplain Management Study: Floodplain Management Plan October 2002. The Report was funded by the Federal and State governments, and Council. It seeks to update the existing information on flood risk within the Shepparton-Mooroopna area. The project involved detailed hydrological and hydraulic modelling of the Goulburn River, Seven Creeks and the Broken River, producing flood mapping and flood intelligence information.
In line with State and regional flood strategies, a priority outcome of the project was to share the updated flood mapping and intelligence information with stakeholders and the wider community. The Report:
- collects and reviews data relevant to flooding within the study area;
- provides best practice hydrological flood estimates for the study area;
- develops and calibrates a detailed hydraulic model that can replicate past floods and predict impacts across the complex floodplain for a range of flood magnitudes;
- provides flood mapping of many potential design flood scenarios;
- develops an online flood mapping portal, floodreport.com.au;
- quantifies flood risk at a property specific level; and
- reviews flood warning and emergency response, and an update to the Greater Shepparton Municipal Flood Emergency Plan.
At the Ordinary Council Meeting held on 18 September 2018, Council resolved to release a draft for public comment commencing on Monday 24 September and concluding on Wednesday 7 November 2018.
At the Ordinary Council Meeting held on 19 March 2019, Council resolved to adopt the Report; to prepare and exhibit a planning scheme amendment to include the findings and recommendations of the Report; and adopt the Greater Shepparton City Council Municipal Flood Emergency Plan August 2018.
A planning scheme amendment is required to implement the findings and recommendations of the Report. Further consultation will be undertaken as part of the planning scheme amendment process, in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
You may inspect the documents below:
Please contact the Environment Department on 03 5832 9730 for further information.