History of the ABGS Site

The Botanic Gardens site was once part of a larger area which was divided into settlement blocks in 1893. It was known as the Kialla Village Settlement and also called Honeysuckle Park.

Council purchased four blocks which were used as a landfill site from 1972 until it closed in 1987.

After the 1994 council amalgamations in Victoria, the 22.6ha Kialla Landfill was identified for rehabilitation and in 2011 for redevelopment as Botanic Gardens.

As a result the Australian Botanic Gardens Shepparton has been developed under the governance of a Greater Shepparton City Council Section 86 Special Committee consisting of community volunteers and one councilor.

The Gardens are a long term project that is gradually being developed over a period of years.

Recent Developments

The rehabilitation of the 22.6 hectare former rubbish tip site has been a significant project for Greater Shepparton City Council. Approximately $1.5million was spent initially on the environmental and aboriginal heritage studies, design work, earthworks and fencing.

Since the completion of the engineering works Greater Shepparton City Council has provided a budget allocation to the Special Council Committee each year since 2011 for the development of the gardens. These funds have been used for concept plans, garden designs and creation, purchasing of equipment, and establishment of crushed brick paths through the bushland areas.

Additional themed gardens, a playground, viewing platforms and other features will be completed as funding becomes available.

Back to the main page