Community Rangers investigate complaints regarding animals kept in residential areas under Councils Local Law.
Local Law Number 1 states:
6.1 Animals, Birds (including Pigeons), and Poultry
- No person may without a permit keep any animals, birds (including pigeons), or poultry other than a domestic animal, fowl hen or songbird on any property in a residential
- No person shall allow to remain on any property any noisy animal, bird (including pigeons), or poultry which in the opinion of an authorised officer cause a nuisance to any person residing in the neighbourhood
- For the purpose of this Part, noises emanating from such animals, birds (including pigeons), or poultry shall not be deemed to cause a nuisance to any person unless objections in writing have been lodged with Council from more than one resident of immediate neighbouring properties
- Pigeons shall not be kept on any property unless in a pigeon loft constructed to Council's requirements.
Please note: A domestic animal is defined as ‘a cat or a dog’.
- No person shall keep on any property in a residential or commercial area a number of fowl hens greater than ten mature birds.
Notice to Comply
If you have received a Notice to Comply from a Community Ranger regarding animals at your property, please ensure that you complete the required work by the specified date. Failure to comply may result in legal action being taken, including $200 on the spot infringements and / or court action. To discuss a Notice to Comply, please contact Council.
Under Council's Planning Scheme, there are restrictions on the number of animals that can be kept in a residential area. Please contact Council for more information.
For more information please contact Council on (03) 5832 9700.