See our Council Services during Covid page for information about current arrangements.
These programs help to assist people to reconnect with their community by attending excursions and centre based activities that focus on mental stimulation and physical stimulation.
Social Connection Groups offer a range of activities designed specifically for frail older adults and people with disabilities who may be socially isolated.
The program aims to enhance the social and physical wellbeing of participants in a pleasant group environment as well as providing respite care and support for carers.
Lunch and morning tea are served and transport is provided if required. Each program is designed to respond to the individual needs of participants. Social Connection Groups operate at Shepparton, Mooroopna, Merrigum and Dookie.
What do Social Connection Groups involve?
- The opportunity to join in activities to enhance daily living skills
- The groups create the opportunity for companionship and new friendships
- To create a balance between social, intellectual and physical activities.
- The opportunity to participate in activities using past life experiences.
- To have fun in planning activities that will help maintain skills such as hand/eye coordination
- Social Connection Groups encourage Positive Ageing
How do I start with a Social Connections Group?
An assessment visit is conducted by a skilled Program Leader who is sensitive to the varying needs of people who require assistance. The program leader conducting the assessment will provide information, advice and assistance about services provided by Council and by other community organisations in the Greater Shepparton area.
The program leader will:
- Ensure available services meet your needs
- Be your point of contact at Council should you have any concerns about your services or if you require further assistance
- Refer you to other agencies as required with your permission
- An Assessment is not a guarantee of services
For further information
Please contact an Aged and Disability Services Team Member at Greater Shepparton City Council. Phone: 03 5832 9785.
This printable brochure contains the information on this page.