People may not be able to cook for themselves for a variety of reasons. The Meals on Wheels service may be received for a short time, such as after a hip replacement operation. In most cases the meals are provided on an on‑going basis for people who, for various reasons, are unable to prepare food for themselves.
This vital nutritional supplement to daily diet is complimented by the monitoring and social welfare component of the service. Volunteers often alert their supervisors if a client’s health is deteriorating. This early intervention and prompt medical attention can often prevent hospitalisation or, in some cases, permanent care.
Meals on Wheels are cooked fresh and delivered hot, ready to eat Monday to Friday in Greater Shepparton. Weekend meals are a frozen delivery on a Saturday morning. If a Saturday and Sunday meal is required, these will both will be delivered on Saturday morning. A three-course meal is provided to each client and they receive a quarterly menu allowing them to choose from four main meals and three desserts, as well as receiving a soup.
There are seven week day runs in Shepparton, two in Mooroopna and one in Tatura delivered by Council’s 250+ valued Meals on Wheels volunteers.
Weekend meals are also delivered Saturday mornings to clients in Shepparton, Mooroopna and Tatura by a number of local Community Service Clubs and volunteers.
Council also can arrange frozen meals for clients who reside in outlying areas, such as Murchison, as they are unable to take advantage of the hot delivered meals.
For more information regarding Meals on Wheels please phone the Food Services Coordinator on 03 5832 9808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meals on Wheels needs volunteers in Shepparton, Mooroopna and Tatura. Can you contribute one hour a month?
- Volunteers are required throughout the year on a rostered basis, so you can commit as much or as little time as you choose.
- Meal pick up time is 11:15am.
- Delivery time is approximately 1 hour.
- A five litre fuel voucher is provided for each run.
- Comprehensive Car Insurance is required for your vehicle.
- A police check is also required. (Council can arrange this at no charge to you.)
- Emergency back-up volunteers are needed for when our regular volunteers are unavailable (particularly school holiday times.)
- Volunteers can deliver meals on their own or with a partner
- Regular volunteers are allocated to a specific day and delivery area. Choose a day that suits you.
- Congratulate yourself for participating in a great community service!
If you can support your community by volunteering to assist with Meals on Wheels delivery then please phone the Food Services Coordinator on 03 5832 9700 or email email@example.com to request a Meals on Wheels Volunteer Information pack.