There are currently a number of vacancies as a new committee is being established during the term of the current Council Plan 2021 - 2025
The Public Health Advisory Committee has been established since September 2001.
The functions of this Advisory Committee align with Council’s statutory requirements to include community in the development and review of each Public Health Plan and are governed by the Terms of Reference, with key roles outlined in these Guidelines including to:
- Advocate for improved health and wellbeing outcomes
- Promote health and wellbeing across the Municipality
- Promote public health as everybody’s business
- Encourage community participation in all levels of decision-making about public health.
This Advisory Committee provides a great opportunity for a collaborative approach to local health and wellbeing issues, risks and effort to maximise health outcomes for individuals and the local community. Some examples of projects and programs supported by this Advisory Committee include:
- Development and annual review of the Greater Shepparton Health and Wellbeing Action Plan
- Guidance and support to develop and implement the obesity monitoring project across Primary Schools in Greater Shepparton
- Formation of a collaborative network of community leaders with a focal point for discussion of local health risks and rising health demands impacting on individuals and the whole community.
The Member Appointment Process
The proposed process for the appointment of members will be as follows:
An advertisement will be placed on the Greater Shepparton website and Facebook page, together with a supplement in each of the local newspapers; Shepparton News and Shepparton Adviser.
Applications are to be received via post, email or fax.
Late applications will not be considered.
|Expression of Interest Evaluation Criteria||
The Committee will evaluate all applicants using the Evaluation Criteria as described herein.
Those choosing to submit their application should address the selection criteria as well as providing the Evaluation Panel with any other material they consider to be relevant.
|Acceptance of Expression of Interest||
Applications that meet the needs of this Committee will be notified and may be invited to further discuss their proposal with Council.
Membership will be endorsed at a Council meeting.
Role Of Advisory Committee
The committee will:
- Advocate for improvement or changes that impact on health and wellbeing;
- Provide advice to guide the development and annual review of a long term Public Health strategic plan for Greater Shepparton;
- Work in partnership with Council and other stakeholders to develop an annual Implementation Plan;
- Participate in an annual review to capture progress and achievements;
- Analyse and interpret local evidence, health and wellbeing indicators, health status and demographics;
- Identify local public health risks, trends, goals and gaps;
- Develop relevant health prevention strategies in collaboration to address existing or emerging public health and wellbeing issues;
- Encourage a cross-sectoral partnership approach with Council, Department of Health and Human Services and other local health service providers, supporting agencies and community members;
- Share information, knowledge and experiences to benefit local health outcomes;
- Facilitate a collaborative health and wellbeing network.
- Work in partnership with Council and other stakeholders to support response and recovery from the effects of the Covid-19 global pandemic.
Term Of Advisory Committee Member
Members will be appointed for a period of two years.
Members may be removed by Council decision at any time, or following failure to attend three or more meetings.
Members will be eligible for re-election or re-nomination at the conclusion of each term of office.
Professional Expertise Or Interest Area
The next phase of the Public Health planning will focus on liveability across the age cycle and how liveability aspects impact on individual’s quality of life, access to health needs and general wellbeing.
Applicants will be asked to express interest in any or all of the liveability domains that are best suited for their professional expertise, interest or skills.
All domains can be chosen if the applicant has a general interest in each aspect of health and wellbeing.
* Fields marked with an asterisk are required.