At the 19 June 2018 Council Meeting, Councillors resolved to adopt a new revision of the "Community Living Local Law Number 1". The information on this page is in the process of being updated, and may no longer be correct.
Until this page is updated, you should refer to the full local law document, which has the latest information.
For any enquiries, please contact us on (03) 5832 9700. We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Community Living Local Law No 1 states:
- A person must not, except with a permit, camp on any Council land, on any public land, or any privately owned land within the municipality unless within a designated camping area.
- In determining whether to grant a permit under clause 2.17(a) Council or an authorised officer must take into account the following:
- The location of the land;
- The zoning of the land;
- The suitability of the land for camping;
- The number of tents or other structures to be located on the land;
- The length of time the tents and other structures will be erected on the land;
- The availability of sanitary facilities on the land;
- The availability of the land to accept waste discharge, disposal and/or sullage;
- The likely damage to be caused;
- The existence of Insurance and Indemnity; and
- Any other matter relevant to the circumstances associated with the application.
- A person who camps or who occupies a campsite on Council owned or managed land or in a public place must at all times maintain the campsite in a clean and tidy condition.
- A person is exempt from the requirement of a permit under clause 2.17(a) above if, in relation to a privately owned land;
- Camping is in connection with the seasonal employment of that person on a property on which an agricultural business is being conducted and provided the person has the permission of the owner to camp on that land; or
- Camping is for no more than 14 days, with no more than 10 people at any one time, and the persons have the permission of the owner to camp on that land
First offence - 2 penalty units ($200.00)
Second or subsequent offence - 4 penalty units ($400.00)
For more information please contact the Local Laws Branch on (03) 5832 9741.