By establishing these awards, we recognise the efforts of a number of great people who are an important part of our wonderful community.
There are six categories for the awards; volunteer team, male volunteer, female volunteer, youth volunteer (for people aged between 12 and 25), rural volunteer (for towns with under 5,000 residents) and long serving volunteer.
Nominations for the 2020 Volunteer Recognition Awards have now closed
An online nomination form (and printable PDF version) and the award guidelines are available below.
The closing date for nominations is 23 March 2020.
The Volunteer Recognition Awards have been postponed. The Awards event is now tentatively scheduled for Monday 21 September 2020.
Submitting your nomination
- Nominations must be submitted through the form(s) provided for download at the bottom of this page.
- You are encouraged to:
- Use the word count ranges provided in the form as a guide so that you know how much information and detail we would like you to provide. This information will also be used in the Nominee Profile booklet.
- Check the spelling of names supplied noting this may be printed on a certificate and Awards Nominee Profile booklet.
- You will receive confirmation once your nomination has been successfully submitted.
- Council staff are available to provide support to anyone who may need assistance completing the nomination form, or has any questions about the Volunteer Recognition Awards more generally, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 5832 9479.
- Late nominations will not be accepted.
To be eligible for nomination of an award, nominees must:
- Be volunteering in the Greater Shepparton municipality
- Be 12 years of age and over
- Volunteer generously within their community
A nomination will be deemed ineligible if the nominee is:
- A collective of volunteers working within a Local Government Setting
- Volunteering as part of their employment
- Receives payment for their efforts they are being nominated for
- Submitting an application on behalf of themselves
- It is advisable to complete all fields in the nomination form
- Include specific descriptive details rather than general statements
- Please be aware that Council will be contacting the nominee to make them aware of the nomination
- The nominee has the right to accept or decline the nomination
Completing a nomination
When selecting a category for your nominee, please consider the following:
- You must only nominate in one category
- Council reserves the right to transfer a nomination to a more appropriate category if necessary.
- Wording used in the nomination form will be used for the Nominee Profile booklet
Once the nomination has been received, Council reviews the forms to ensure
- The nomination meets the eligibility criteria.
- All of the required information is available for the nomination to be progressed to the assessors.
- Eligible nominations are then assessed by an independent assessment panel using the information provided and considers responses against the assessment criteria.
- This nomination is first reviewed to determine the relevance of the nominee’s contributions to the selected category description.
- Once the nominations within each category have been confirmed, the assessment panel review the information provided and evaluate the responses against the four criteria:
- Making a difference in their community.
- Significant impact on their community.
- Encouragement of community participation.
- Meeting an identified community need.
- The panel will assess the applications to determine the category winners; they will decide the winners of the awards.
- The assessment panel’s decision will be final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into regarding the decision.
- All nominations will receive formal acknowledgement and an invitation to the Volunteer Recognition Award Ceremony during National Volunteer Week.
Celebrating the winners
- All nominees will be notified of their nomination.
- All nominees can invite guests to attend the Volunteer Recognition Awards Ceremony.
- All nominators will be invited to attend the Volunteer Recognition Awards Ceremony.
- Each nominee will receive recognition at the Awards ceremony.
- Winners will be notified and recognised at the Awards Ceremony. (They will not be notified prior).
- Volunteer: For the purpose of these awards, a volunteer is someone who gives their time willingly for the common good and without financial gain. (Volunteering Australia definition)
- Nominee: A person who volunteers (according to the definition above) within the Greater Shepparton municipality and is being nominated for a Volunteer Recognition Award.
Nomination Form and Guidelines
The online form below can be completed and submitted to place your nomination. Alternatively, a printable PDF form can be downloaded, which can be mailed to Council at the address on the bottom of the form, dropped in to the Council offices in Welsford Street, Shepparton, or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.
Nominations have now closed.