Recreational Vehicles (Fact Sheet 2)

Community Living Local Law No 1 states:

2.15 Recreational Vehicles

  1. A person must not, except with a permit, use a motor powered or motor assisted recreational vehicle including a recreational motor cycle on any Council land other than a road unless such land has been designated by Council for such use.
  2. No person may without a permit use a recreational vehicle on any private land within a residential, commercial or industrial area.
  3. A person must not use an unregistered motor powered or motor assisted recreational vehicle on any land owned or managed by Council or on any public land within the municipality.


First offence - 2 penalty units ($200.00)
Second or subsequent offence - 4 penalty units ($400.00)

If you have received a Caution Notice-Notice to Comply please ensure that you follow the compliance details. Failure to comply may result in an infringement being issued.


To obtain a Permit to use a recreational vehicle in a residential area you must provide the following to Council:

  • Completed ‘Application for a Permit to use a Recreational Vehicle within a Residential or Commercial Area’.
  • Payment of the Application Fee.
  • Written consent from all adjoining neighbors’.
  • If you are not the registered owner of the property, written consent from the current registered owner.

For further information please contact the Local Laws Branch on (03) 5832 9741.