The Launch marks the opening of the nominations for the 2019 Awards, and is an excellent opportunity to find out more about the Awards and how to nominate.
The winners of the 2017 biennial Cultural Heritage Awards were announced and celebrated at a well-attended Awards Ceremony held during National Heritage Week in April last year. It is now time to begin the nomination process for the 2019 Awards.
The Awards are held every two years and recognise outstanding contributions to cultural heritage conservation, research, education, promotion, interpretation, training and awareness-raising within the Municipality.
The Awards aim to honour individuals and organisations whose work has promoted and conserved the Municipality’s diverse cultural heritage. They also serve to promote the benefits of cultural heritage conservation by promoting examples of good conservation practice and guidance, as well as offering the owners or guardians of our heritage recognition of their invaluable work.
The number of nominations to these Awards increases with each round, and the judging panel are always impressed with the calibre of applications.
The winners of the Cultural Heritage Awards 2017 were for:
- The Young family’s adaptive reuse of the former Commercial Hotel, Mooroopna
- Goulburn Valley Water’s conservation works to the Water Tower, Ross Street, Tatura;
- Ian Pleydell’s publication “Reserved for the People (Mooroopna)”
- Katandra & District History Group Inc’s publication ‘"Marionvale memories" - a historic account of life in the Marionvale district’
- GOTAFE’s Historical Wall at the Shepparton Campus
- Merrigum & District Historical Society Inc’s Heritage Day 2015 and Heritage Day 2016
- Murchison & District Historical Society Inc’s research, promotion and dissemination of cultural heritage through the Murchison Heritage Centre
The Launch will be held in the Fire Room at the Australia Hotel at 12 noon, for a 12:30pm start. The event, which runs for less than an hour, provides an opportunity for interested community members and groups to find out more about the Awards, and also creates a relaxed, friendly platform for heritage-related conversations.
More information about the Launch and the Awards can be found on Council’s website here.