Frequently Asked Questions

On this page you will find most frequently asked questions asked about planning matters.

If your question is not listed, please contact the Planning Department by phoning 03 5832 9730.

Do I need a planning permit?

Many things that we plan to do can affect other people. Therefore we need to have some process to ensure that decisions we make about land use and development are fair, orderly, economic and sustainable.

The Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme consists of zones, overlays and other provisions which affect whether a permit is required.

Generally, a permit is required for:

  • Changing the use of your property (eg. shop to office)
  • Commercial & industrial developments
  • Applying for a liquor licence
  • Display of signage
  • Waiver of car parking
  • Native vegetation removal

If you propose to use or develop land, it is best to first discuss the proposal with a planning officer at the Council. By arranging a pre-application meeting, the officer will be able to advise you as to what information you will need to submit with your planning application. For an appointment please contact the Council on (03) 5832 9700 to arrange a time with one of the Planning staff.

How do I lodge a planning permit application?

The information you will need to supply to apply for a planning permit will vary depending on what you are seeking a permit for, however generally you must include:

  • A completed ‘Application for Planning Permit' form. See below to print off an application form
  • A current copy of your Certificate of Title printed within the last two months
  • Payment of the Application Fee
  • Three Sets of Plans
  • Site Plan
  • Locality Plan

Applications can be lodged:

  • In person: by calling 03 5832 9700 and making an appointment to meet with one of the planning staff
  • By mail: to Planning and Development Branch, Greater Shepparton City Council, Locked Bag 1000, Shepparton Victoria 3632

Council encourages permit applicants to consult with one of the Council's Planning Officers prior to formally lodging an application. This should be done on an appointment basis.

Why do I need to submit a current copy of title?

Title information confirms the location and dimensions of the land specified in the planning application and any obligations affecting what can be done on or with the land. As well as describing the land, a full copy of the title will include a diagram or plan of the land and will identify any encumbrances, caveats and notices.

It is important that you attached a current copy (printed within the last two months) of title for each individual parcel of land forming the subject site. 'Current' title information accurately provides all relevant and up to date information.

Copies of title documents can be obtained from Land Registry: Level 10, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne; 03 8636 2010; or via the Landata website.

How long will my application take to be processed?

The planning process is complex and the Council must consider a wide range of policies and requirements. A decision may not be made for a considerable time after the application is lodged depending on the complexity of the use, need for further information, public notification, objections, the amount of referrals to relevant authorities and the decision process. It is not unusual for applications to take several months to determine, even where you may feel that the matter appears straight forward. If at any stage you have any queries about the proposal please contact the planner dealing with the application.

Do I need an application to remove/lop/destroy a tree in my property?

The Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme has many controls regarding the retention of vegetation. It is necessary for people inquiring about this issue to contact the Planning and Development Department with information on the type and health of the vegetation in question. This will assist officers in determining whether a planning permit is required to remove, lop or destroy the vegetation.

Do I need a planning permit to run a business from home?

Some businesses may be conducted from your private place of residence without a Planning approval. However, the Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme has a number of requirements which need to be met. See Clause 52.11 of the Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme.

Although you may be able to conduct a business without a permit, if signage is to be erected, a planning permit may be required.

Please contact the Council on 03 5832 9700 to arrange an appointment with a planning officer to gain further information on this matter.

This checklist is intended to assist residents who are seeking to carry out a home occupation from their place of residents.

PDF, 73 KB

What is the Zoning of my land?

The zoning of a property can be obtained through a planning certificate. All applications for the City of Greater Shepparton Planning Certificates must be obtained through LANDATA, the current planning certificate supplier on behalf of the Minister for Planning.

To place your order with LANDATA all you need are accurate property identifiers such as a Lot/Plan number with Volume/Folio and matching street address.

Orders can then be made by:

Using the Planning Certificates Online Express Service

Go to the Land Chanel website and select Title and Property Certificates. Your order will be processed and returned to you electronically.

Standard Order

Post your application to LANDATA, PO Box 500, East Melbourne 8002 or lodge it in person at the Land Information Centre, Level 10, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne.

You can also check the zoning of your property by making an appointment with a planning officer by calling the Council on 03 5832 9700. By making an appointment with a planner you will only be able to view the zoning of the property and not obtaining the information in writing, this can only be done through a Planning Certificate with LANDATA.

How do I check the status of a permit application?

You can search current and past applications as far back as 2000 by using the Application Enquiry function on our website. The ‘status’ column shows what stage an application is up to.

If you have a current application in with Council you will be kept updated by the responsible officer as your application progresses through each stage of the planning process.

How do I object to a planning permit application?

Where a proposal may cause detriment to another person or the amenity of an area, the application will be notified to persons likely to be affected by the proposal. Objections can be lodged with the Council any time up to when a decision is made, however objections are usually lodged during the 14 day period which the application is advertised.

You can object to an application by completing an Objection to a Planning Permit Application form (see below), or write, or email a statement of how the proposal will affect you. Every objection must include your name and contact details (including address). Once an objection is received, the objector will be advised of the Councils decision.

  • This form is to assist in making an objection as outlined in the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

    PDF, 62 KB

  • The way people use and develop their properties can have effect on surrounding residents and the wider community. This is why the planning permit process is in place and why people have the right to comment on a planning permit application before a decision is made.

    PDF, 74 KB

How do I amend a planning permit?

An application can be made to the Council to amend endorsed plans. Applications need to include a copy of the amended plans and detailing the proposed amendments.

Depending on the number and extent of the amendments proposed, an amendment application may be advertised and referred to service authorities.

An amendment application can also be made for the alteration or removal of conditions on a Planning Permit. Such applications must provide justification for the amendment of the condition and the likely affect of the amendment(s).

Council does not have the power to amend planning permits or associated plans that have been issued at the direction of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

Can my planning permit be extended?

A condition on your planning permit will set down the time period for which the development and/or use must commence and to be completed by. The permit will expire if the permit is not complied with in the specified times. An extension to this time can be applied for within three months of the expiry. An application must be accompanied by the applicable fee and an explanation as to why an extension to the permit is being sort. If approved, extensions are usually only extended for a one year period.

What if I have a general enquiry requiring a written response?

A letter should be addressed to the Planning and Development Department, Greater Shepparton City Council, Locked Bag 1000, Shepparton Victoria 3632 clearly outlining your request and providing your full contact details, in some instances plans may also need to be provided.

To assist us to reply to your enquiry promptly, it is requested that you supply as much information as possible.