The federal and state governments support business through taxation, skills development, regional growth and financial advice and training. Greater Shepparton City Council can also support you with details of tendering opportunities, licences and permits and local demographics and statistics.
Australian Taxation Office
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides a wide range of services to businesses including small business support, engaging workers, closing your business, applying for an ABN, taxation and superannuation information.
Business Victoria is a comprehensive online resource designed to help you start, run and grow your business. On this website you can
- access information about key business issues and get your questions answered
- access information about specific industry sectors
- identify the government licences and regulations that apply to your business
- step through interactive guides customised to your business situation
- register for a free Business Victoria account to save important information and get access to additional tools and services
- find relevant financial support, advice and training
- search across multiple business-related government websites
Regional Development Victoria
Regional Development Victoria (RDV) is the Victorian Government’s lead agency in developing rural and regional Victoria.
Their focus is on investment attraction, job creation, exports, creating stronger economies, communities and infrastructure to create a strong and growing regional and rural Victoria. There are a number of programs to:
- promote business and industry development;
- work with local government and communities;
- help new businesses establish themselves; and
- pave the way for existing industries to grow and diversify.
Fruit Growers Victoria (FGV)
Greater Shepparton is renowned for being the food bowl of Victoria and the continued economic growth in the agricultural sector is vital to the region’s ongoing prosperity.
Greater Shepparton City Council has recently entered into a memorandum of understanding with Fruit Growers Victoria (FGV). The agreement has objectives and goals that both parties will work to achieve over the next 12 months. Some of the objectives include skills development, educational opportunities and the promotion of positive agribusiness stories.
Council supports the industry and encourages FGV members to contact the Economic Development Department to discuss how we can assist you to grow your business.
NBN Rollout / Digital Readiness
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is an upgrade to our existing telecommunications network. It provides the infrastructure for affordable, high-speed internet and phone access for all Australians, regardless of where you live.
Greater Shepparton Business Centre
Many new and emerging businesses need a starting point or room to grow. The Greater Shepparton Business Centre can provide the ideal bridge for such enterprises, as well as a high level of moral support and encouragement.
To support this objective the Greater Shepparton City Council is promoting the growth of Business in our region by providing support with office accommodation, industrial space, business support, meeting facilities, phone/fax and training services.
By providing office, industrial space and management support at competitive rates we enable businesses to minimise start-up costs, creating an impetus for growth.
The Business Centre rents space on a month to month basis, without requiring tenants to enter into a long-term lease. It is also flexible in its configuration and structure to allow tenants to expand and contract the space they occupy as needed.
In addition, the Business Centre has available a variety of meeting and training rooms and regularly host workshops and seminars to provide small business with access to low cost resources and information.
Greater Shepparton City Council invites you to make an application for funding through the New Business Grant. Also check our Grants and Funding page for other grants that may be applicable to your situation.
Greater Shepparton City Council has also partnered with Moira Shire Council and Strathbogie Shire Council to provide the Goulburn Valley Funding Finder website. This free and useful tool assists businesses and community groups to search for grants across all three Councils, while providing helpful tips and resources for putting together your grant application.
Greater Shepparton Regional Certifying Body (RCB)
Employers applying to the Department of Home Affairs to sponsor an overseas professional under the new Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional nomination visa (subclass 494) are required to apply for an assessment by a Regional Certifying Body.
In the Demographics and Statistics section of our website, you will find a range of information about the activities that are carried out in Greater Shepparton; the demographic nature of the region; and a list of all the localities that make up our municipality.
Licences & Permits
- The Local Laws Department offers a summary of information about fire prevention, reporting abandoned vehicles, busking, getting permission for events and activities, use of incinerators and applying for permits to burn.
- The Planning and Building Departments can offer information to assist you in understanding the functions and requirements of obtaining relevant permits as well as details about major projects dedicated to maintaining and improving the Council's assets and infrastructure.
Check this page regularly for details of current tenders with the Greater Shepparton City Council.
The Investment Attraction Department encourages and assists investment, whilst working to develop employment and business opportunities for the established and emerging economic sectors within the Greater Shepparton City Council.
Visit our Useful Links and Resources page for more information on how Council can support you and your business in addition to a list of useful contacts.