The Committee meets once every month and has been established in accordance with the Greater Shepparton Heritage Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference.
Cultural heritage includes both tangible cultural heritage (such as buildings, monuments, landscapes, books, works of art and artefacts) and intangible cultural heritage (such as folklore, traditions, language and knowledge). The municipality contains a wide-variety of cultural heritage places of local, regional and international significance, owing to its richly-layered history, dating back over 40,000 years.
The primary purpose of the Committee is to provide the best possible advice to the Council on the best methods to conserve and promote this unique cultural heritage. The Committee's role is to:
- Provide advice/input on policy matters relating to cultural heritage including but not limited to, the Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme to ensure that cultural heritage matters are given due consideration in all decision-making processes
- Provide advice to the Council on the identification, conservation, preservation and promotion of places of cultural heritage significance in the municipality
- Promote community participation in and awareness of cultural heritage issues
- Investigate external funding opportunities to further cultural heritage conservation, promotion, management and education
- Provide an advocacy role for cultural heritage matters within the Municipality
The Committee provides the following services:
- Funding advice
- Policy assessment and advice
- Cultural heritage promotion
The Committee consists of:
- Two councillors
- Members of the Council's Strategic Planning Team
- The Council's Heritage Advisor
- Ten voting committee members from each of the following member organisations (more than one member from each organisation is welcome to attend the meeting but only one member has a voting power):
- Bangerang Cultural Centre
- Dookie Historical Society
- Historical Society of Mooroopna
- Katandra and District History Group
- Merrigum and District Historical Society
- Murchison and District Historical Society
- Shepparton Heritage Centre
- Tatura and District Historical Society
- Toolamba and District Community Plan Steering Committee
- Yorta Yorta Nation Aboriginal Corporation
- A minimum of two and a maximum of six members of the public unaffiliated with any of the organisations outlined above.
For more information please contact Council's Strategic Planning Team on 03 5832 9730.