The program assists residents to actively participate in sport and recreation, regardless of their means, through access to small grants to the value of $150 per applicant.
Two categories are available:
- Children and young people between the ages of five and 18 or who are still full time at primary or secondary school
- Adults over 18 who are no longer at secondary school. For adults, an element of volunteering is required to be eligible for the scholarship.
Council’s Director Community Kaye Thomson said the program gave residents the opportunity to become active in sporting clubs and the community.
“As we know, participating in sport and recreation can be quite expensive particularly the sports fees. This program helps to alleviate that cost. Those seeking sports equipment are encouraged to borrow equipment from the Sports Equipment Library located at the Shepparton Sports Stadium,” Ms Thomson said.
“Grants can be utilised not only for organised sport, but also gym memberships and swimming lessons. Aquamoves has a range of membership options including student memberships, visit passes, swim school and fitness programs available for applicants to choose from.
“This is a fantastic program and Council appreciates the commitment and time FamilyCare dedicate to ensure the smooth running of the program. Without their partnership, this program would not be as successful.”
Residents may apply for scholarships up to the value of $150 per applicant. The funding can be provided for club membership and/or, participation fees. FamilyCare will manage the allocation of the funding designated to clubs, business or organisations.
To be eligible applicants must be:
- Residents of Greater Shepparton, although their sporting activity may be outside the municipality
- In possession of a valid Health Care Card or Pension Card
- Clubs, businesses and groups are not eligible to apply.
For anyone who has any questions or needs assistance filling out the application, visit FamilyCare during opening hours or call 03 5823 7000.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 28 April 2017. Applications can be submitted at any time and will be assessed and approved at the time of making the application.
For more information visit getmoovingshepparton.com.au