Returning home after a bushfire
If you have been evacuated, or were unable to return home as a result of a bushfire, there are a number of practical and emotional things to consider when you are ready or allowed to return home.
The Australian Red Cross offers a range of valuable resources designed to help people to recover from an emergency. This information can help you to better understand what you may experience when recovering from an emergency and what you can do to help yourself through this difficult time.
- Coping with a major personal crisis
- Cleaning up after an emergency: dealing with wind and water damage
- Looking after yourself and your family after a disaster
- After the emergency - A book to help kids cope with emergencies
- How to talk to children about emergencies
- Helping children and young people cope with crisis
- Returning home after a bushfire evacuation
- Promoting recovery after trauma
- Lifeline - Phone 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue - Phone 1300 224 636
- Kids Helpline - Phone 1800 551 800
- SANE Australia - Phone 1800 187 263
Australian Government Disaster Assist
The Australian Government Disaster Assist website provides individuals and families better access to information about recovery assistance following a disaster.
Agriculture and Animals
- CFA - Pets and bushfire information - Whether pets are at home with you, relocated during high fire-risk days or brought along on holidays, you need to plan and prepare for their safety as well as your family's and your own.
- Agriculture Victoria provides a range of bushfire recovery advice and support on animal health and welfare, pasture management, pest plants and animal control, erosion protection, livestock feed planning, crop and horticulture management and reforestation.
- Wildlife can be injured during bushfires. The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) works with suitably qualified and experienced wildlife care organisations and rehabilitators to assist with the recovery, treatment, rehabilitation and release of wildlife affected by fire.