Council is working with the VPA to prepare the Growth Plan to provide a vision and guide the sustainable development of Shepparton and Mooroopna to the year 2050.
The Growth Plan will be a high-level document that identifies the region’s strengths, addresses key challenges and sets a vision to guide growth and development up to 2050. It will be used to coordinate, guide and inform the preparation and consideration of future, more detailed, local plans and planning processes.
The Growth Plan will:
- set out the future vision for Shepparton and Mooroopna;
- guide sustainable future growth and development over the next 30 years;
- identify the steps needed to manage growth;
- define key projects and infrastructure required to support growth; and
- provide an improved and more certain environment for making both public and private investment decisions.
Draft Growth Plan: Have Your Say!
The VPA and Council have released the draft Growth Plan for public exhibition. The plan is available for your comments and feedback from 20 September to 1 November 2019. The draft Growth Plan can be accessed below:
Key Issues and Opportunity Report
A Key Issues and Opportunities Report was prepared based on a review of a range of existing Council documentation and consultation with key stakeholders.
The purpose of this document is to highlight the key issues and opportunities to the community and other stakeholders to help inform their submissions. This will aid in the development of a draft Growth Plan later in 2019.
At the Ordinary Council Meeting held on Tuesday, 19 February 2019, Council resolved to receive and note the Shepparton and Mooroopna 2050: Primary School Engagement Report October 2018 and to authorise for exhibition the Shepparton and Mooroopna 2050: Regional City Growth Plan - Key Issues and Opportunities Paper, February 2019 for public comment for a period of four weeks, commencing on 22 February 2019 and concluding on 25 March 2019.
Summary of feedback to the Key Issues and Opportunities Report
There were three main methods used to gather feedback on the Key Issues and Opportunities report:
- Interactive online story map;
- Community priorities survey; and
- Written feedback.
Overall, the VPA and Council received 225 pieces of feedback online, received written submissions from 46 people, and met with more than 90 people at the face-to-face engagement events.
The feedback received generally indicated the community are supportive of Shepparton and Mooroopna capitalising on new growth predicted for the area. A consistent message emerged about better utilising the natural features of the area and promoting these features to encourage more investment.
The key themes of feedback received are summaries below:
- Continue to celebrate the open space offerings of the area;
- Renew rundown sites to revitalise Shepparton and Mooroopna;
- Resolve uncertainty around future residential and industrial land supply;
- Support and prioritise the delivery of infrastructure to support growth;
- Improve access to and use of the river and its surrounding environment; and
- Ensure agricultural land continues to be productive.
The draft Growth Plan is currently on exhibition. Members of the community are invited to provide feedback on the plan.
The VPA and Council will then use agency and community feedback to address concerns before finalising the Growth Plan, which will then be implemented through an amendment to the Greater Shepparton Planning Scheme.
The final Growth Plan will be used to coordinate, guide and inform the preparation and consideration of future, more detailed local plans and planning processes.
If you have any questions for the project team, please call
- Emily Killin at the VPA on 03 9651 9600; or
- Michael MacDonagh at Council on 03 5832 9730.