Starting a Food Business, Temporary Food Stall or Health Business

A home based business or market stall are popular ways to start a new food business. There are also other options including opening a cafe, restaurant, driving a mobile food vehicle or catering.

The Food Act 1984 requires all businesses that prepares, handles, packs or sells any food/drink must be registered with Council. You must register your premises with Council at least 28 days before opening. If you have more than one premises, you will need to register all of them.

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.

This section of our website contains information, guides, tips and regulations for getting your food-based or health-based business off to a good start.