Red Lid Bin (Landfill)

Some materials (if they can't be recycled or composted) can be placed in your red lid bin to go to landfill.

Your landfill bin is collected weekly. Find out when your bin will be collected.

Residents have the option of three landfill bin sizes: 80 litre, 120 litre or 240 litre. Please contact Council if you would like to alter your bin size. Council encourages residents to choose the smallest bin size for their needs (larger bin sizes incur greater fees).

If your bin exceeds 100 kilograms in weight it will NOT be collected. Please remove material prior to the next collection.

What materials CAN I place in my red lid bin?

This service is for the collection of remaining waste from around the home that cannot be reused, recycled or composted, such as:

  • Soft plastics (for example: plastic shopping bags, cling wrap, bread bags, confectionery wrappers, chip packets)
  • Polystyrene (except those labelled with the number 6 on them, which should be recycled)
  • Nappies
  • Standard incandescent / tungsten / halogen light bulbs. Fluorescent lights should be recycled at Shepparton Resource Recovery Centre.
  • Old fabric and clothing (a better option is to donate clothes that are in good condition to a local charitable organisation or second-hand store, or otherwise to an organisation that makes rags)
  • Broken glass from windows, drinking glasses and kitchenware (glass bottles and jars should be recycled)

What materials CAN’T I place in my red lid bin?

If you're unsure of how to dispose of something, check our How to Dispose of Common Items page.

E-Waste Ban

Starting July 2019, all electronic items will be banned from your red lid bin, as per new Victorian Government regulations.

Electronic items (known as e-waste) are actually full of valuable resources that can be reused. They can also contain hazardous materials that need to be kept out of landfills.

The ban includes all electronic appliances, including phones, computers, TVs, whitegoods, electric power tools, and more. If it has a plug, battery, or cord, it is e-waste.

To dispose of these items correctly, please take them to your local Resource Recovery Centre (see our locations below).

Click here to learn more about the ban

What happens to the rubbish after it’s been collected?

All of Greater Shepparton's household rubbish from red lid bins is taken to Cosgrove Landfill, with no further processing to separate out any recyclable or organic material. That’s why it’s up to you to do the right thing and separate your waste into the right bin to improve our environment!