Flood: Respond

This section provides current information in response to flooding within the municipality, including important contacts, evacuation plans, wellbeing and animal welfare.

If you need immediate assistance for flooding call VICSES on 132 500. If you are in life threatening situation please call Triple Zero - 000. Please follow the VicEmergency instructions at all times.

To access VICSES information in other languages, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (freecall) and ask them to call VicEmergency Hotline. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment, contact National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask them to call the VicEmergency Hotline.

VICSES: VicEmergency App VICSES: Local Flood Guides BOM: Flood Warning - Goulburn River GBCMA: Flood Intelligence Map


Sandbags will not stop the water completely but can reduce the amount of water entering your home. The Victorian SES Sandbag Guide provides valuable information in preparing for floods.

Livestock / Wildlife / Animal Welfare


Those with livestock are encouraged to seek assistance from neighbours and friends with high ground in the first instance.

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning's Animal Welfare in Emergencies page provides a range of flood and recovery advice and support on animal health and welfare, pasture management, pest plants and animal control, erosion protection, livestock feed planning, crop and horticulture management and reforestation.


Wildlife impacted by flooding are likely to be fatigued and stressed and are best left alone to recover if they are uninjured.

Sometimes wildlife can be caught in trees or temporary islands as a result of flooding. These animals will be able to survive for a number of days until flood waters recede and they are able to move away. Approaching these animals in an attempt to relocate them has a high likelihood of resulting in further stress in the animal and place responders at risk.

Please take care when you are near injured or distressed animals. Approaching them or improper capture and handling techniques can cause further distress or injury to both yourself and wildlife.

Individual wildlife away from flood waters that are injured can be reported to an authorised local wildlife carer, rescue group or Wildlife Victoria.

Please take care in noting the exact location when reporting an injured bird/animal. If possible leave something on the roadside or on a fence that helps rescuers to locate the spot.

Snakes are out and looking for higher ground. Be aware of snakes in your yards as they will be seeking refuge in areas they normally wouldn’t be. Remember don’t corner or kill snakes.

Agriculture Victoria

The Agriculture Victoria website has more information about the wellbeing of animals during floods. Check out the links below:

Latest flood updates

In a flood event, VICSES is the lead agency for latest updates. Refer to the VicEmergency app for the latest incidents and warnings.