The purpose of the Draft Shepparton Mooroopna Flood Intelligence and Flood Mapping Project Report August 2018 (Draft Report) is to update the flood intelligence and mapping tools contained within the existing Shepparton Mooroopna Floodplain Management Study: Floodplain Management Plan October 2002. The Draft Report was funded by the Federal and State governments, and Council. It seeks to update the existing information on flood risk within the Shepparton-Mooroopna area. The project involved detailed hydrological and hydraulic modelling of the Goulburn River, Seven Creeks and the Broken River, producing flood mapping and flood intelligence information.
In line with State and regional flood strategies, a priority outcome of the project was to share the updated flood mapping and intelligence information with stakeholders and the wider community. The Draft Report:
- collects and reviews data relevant to flooding within the study area;
- provides best practice hydrological flood estimates for the study area;
- develops and calibrates a detailed hydraulic model that can replicate past floods and predict impacts across the complex floodplain for a range of flood magnitudes;
- provides flood mapping of many potential design flood scenarios;
- develops an online flood mapping portal, floodreport.com.au;
- quantifies flood risk at a property specific level; and
- reviews flood warning and emergency response, and an update to the Greater Shepparton City Council Municipal Flood Emergency Plan
At the Ordinary Council Meeting held on 18 September 2018, Council resolved to release the Draft Shepparton Mooroopna Flood Intelligence and Flood Mapping Project Report August 2018 for public comment commencing on Monday 24 September and concluding on Wednesday 7 November 2018. Council is now inviting the public to inspect the Draft Report and to make a formal submission. You may inspect the document below:
You may also inspect the document during office hours at the office of the planning authority, Greater Shepparton City Council, 90 Welsford Street, Shepparton.
Submissions must be made in writing, giving the submitter’s name and contact address, clearly stating the grounds on which the Draft Report is supported or opposed and indicating what changes (if any) the submitter wishes to make. A submission should be posted to Greater Shepparton City Council, Locked Bag 1000, Shepparton VIC 3632 or sent to Council via e-mail to email@example.com. The closing date for submissions is 7 November 2018.
30 minute one-to-one discussions are available to meet with Council officers, the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority and Water Technology Pty Ltd on:
- 10am-1.00pm and 1.30pm-6pm on Thursday, 18 October 2018;
- 10am-1.00pm and 1.30pm-6pm on Thursday, 25 October 2018;
Please contact the Environment Department on 03 5832 9730 to make an appointment.
*Please note that the page numbering of the version of the Report released by Council for public consultation is incomplete and this will be rectified in later versions of the report.