Before 31 March in each year, the Manager Parks, Sports & Recreation must ensure that a management plan relating to compliance with the Code for the next financial year is prepared.
The scope of works for this ELCMP is to inspect, manage and maintain clearance of vegetation from Powercor’s Electricity Network, including notification, consultation and negotiation with affected persons in accordance with the Electricity Safety Act 1998 and Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations 2020 while maintaining the Council’s tree assets.
Objectives of the plan
The following are identified as the key objectives of this plan to fulfil Council’s commitment to maintain the space between the vegetation and powerlines (clearance space) under its responsibility and fulfil its duties as set out in the Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations 2020.
- Compliance with the Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations 2020 and Code.
- Management of unsuitable species, including consideration of removals for fast growing species.
- Electrical safety;
- Minimise fire starts as a result of contact between vegetation and electricity network;
- Continuity of electricity supply to Council Residents;
- Public Safety;
- Provision of a safe workplace for employees and service providers;
- Vegetation management systems to maximise environment and amenity value of the Council’s trees;
- Protection of areas of important vegetation which may be deemed as such, based on those areas containing botanically, historically or culturally important vegetation or vegetation of outstanding aesthetic or ecological significance, and/or the habitat or rare or endangered species; and
- Community satisfaction with the manner the necessary works required are carried out.