All services welcome and encourage parents to come and visit our unique pre-kindergaren programs. We encourage you to call and make a time with the educators.
Please note: Children are not required to commence school until 6 years of age. A child’s kindergarten readiness takes into account the child’s developmental level and social readiness, as well as their age. Please speak to your Maternal and Child Health Nurse or Early Childhood Educator to discuss your child’s readiness for pre-kindergarten.
Three-year-old age eligibility
Children must be three years of age before commencing pre-kindergarten in Term 1. During the year enrolments will only be taken two weeks before the child turns three years of age.
Pre-kindergarten age eligibility
The aim of this policy is to ensure the fair allocation pre-kindergarten places for those services participating in the Greater Shepparton City Council pre-kindergarten central enrolment.
- Children must be three years of age before commencing pre-kindergarten in term 1. From January, the year attending pre-kindergarten enrolments will only be taken two weeks before the child turns three years of age.
- Applications for Early Start kindergarten are open to children who are three years of age in the year prior to attending kindergarten.
- Applications for the initial allocation of places close on 30 September of the year prior to the year of attendance at pre-kindergarten.
- Only enrolments made on the current pre-kindergarten central enrolment form will be accepted. Parents/Guardians should indicate their first choice of kindergarten.
Enrolment forms are only valid after being date stamped or verified by the Central Enrolment Officer.
You will receive a letter or email stating that the Central Enrolment Officer has received your enrolment form. This is not a ‘Letter of Offer’.
- Parents will be notified in writing by the service of placement by early November. If the confirmation to accept the place is not received by the service by the notified date, the place will be offered to the next child on the pre-kindergarten waiting list based on applications received prior to 30 September and access criteria.
- Where vacancies occur after 30 September at a pre-kindergarten, a place is offered to the first child on that service's waiting list, based on the priority of access criteria after 30 September.
- Children transferring from areas outside the City of Greater Shepparton after 30 September are considered under the same conditions as late enrolments.
- Under the ‘No Jab, No Play’ legislation, before commencing pre-kindergarten, you will have to provide evidence that your child:
- is fully immunised for their age OR
- on a vaccination catch-up program OR
- unable to be fully immunised for medical reasons.
- Final acceptance of a child at any pre-kindergarten is only given after proof-of-age has been provided to the service (e.g. Birth Certificate, Passport, Maternal and Child Health Record).
- This enrolment scheme does not offer an option for deferring your enrolment. If you wish to withdraw your child for this year you will need to complete a new Central Enrolment Form for the following year.
- Should you wish to cancel or withdraw your child’s enrolment, please contact the Central Enrolment Officer on (03) 5832 9807 or email Childrens&YouthServicesAdmin@shepparton.vic.gov.au. This will assist us to update our records and offer the place to the next child on the waiting list.
- One application is to be completed for each session you would like to enrol your child/ren in.
Enquiries regarding the Central Enrolment Procedure should be directed to:
Central Enrolment Officer
Greater Shepparton City Council
Telephone: (03) 5832 9807
Fees will be advised via the service handbook provided in the enrolment package, once a place has been allocated. Fees will be charged per place (excluding Early Start Kindergarten eligible families).
Fees will be charged as an annual fee which can be paid in full in February, or as a monthly direct debit on the last Wednesday of each month for 10 months - February to November.
Criteria of access for pre-kindergarten
The following criteria of access for priority will be considered with each application. They are listed in ranking order of priority.
1. Children at risk of abuse or neglect and children in out of home care.
The child is:
2. Children of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Origin?
Family identifies the child as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
3. Children of asylum seeker/s and refugee children
Appropriate visa that identifies the child and/or parent as a refugee or asylum seeker.
4. Children of families who have a Concession Card or from a multiple birth?
Children or parents who hold:
Or from a multiple birth (triplets or more)
5. Children with additional needs who:
The child is:
6. Children with a community connection– Pre-kindergarten/long day care/playgroup/sibling/school
7. None of the above
In the instance there are multiple enrolments meeting the above criteria, preference will be given in the order listed.
When all applications eligible for priority have been allocated and the service still has spaces, all remaining names will be allocated to the service by a random ballot conducted by the Central Enrolment Officer.
Where a service exceeds applications to places, the service will be contacted and made aware of partial ballot and asked where applicable to confirm proof of access.
The ballot will occur within five working days of 30 September.
The ballot will continue until all names are selected. Names selected after the available places are filled, will be placed in order of selection on the waiting list for that service.
Services will be required to provide information of past enrolments or previous attendance at a service.
Parents are entitled to apply for more than one pre-kindergarten place at the same or different services. However, all children will be allocated one place before any children are offered a second place.
Parents/Guardians of children not allocated a place in the pre-kindergarten of first preference will be notified by the Greater Shepparton City Council's Central Enrolment Officer. At this time they will be notified of available places and given the option of accepting a place at an available pre-kindergarten, or putting their child’s name on the pre-kindergarten of choice waiting list. However, there is no guarantee of a place becoming available at that pre-kindergarten.
For 2019 kindergarten year.
For 2018 kindergarten year.
Application forms can be submitted:
- via email, to:
- in person, to:
Children’s and Youth Services
Greater Shepparton City Council
90 Welsford Street, Shepparton
- by post, to:
Greater Shepparton City Council
Locked Bag 1000
Shepparton Vic 3632
Applications received after the closing date (late enrolments) will be placed on the central waiting list for consideration after initial enrolments are processed. Placements from the waiting list are made according to pre-kindergarten preferences, available vacancies and priority of access.
Change of preference
Should you wish to change your preference, you are required to complete a ‘Change of Preference Form’. Once you have completed this form, your new preference will be updated on the enrolment system.
Change of Preference Forms is available by contacting the Central Enrolment Officer on (03) 5832 9807. They are only valid after being date stamped at the Council Office and if an original enrolment has been submitted at the Council.
Change of Preference forms submitted after 30 September are considered under the same conditions as late enrolments.
Greater Shepparton City Council complies with the Information Privacy Principle contained in the Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic) and the Health Records Act 2001.